'Your Guide To Creating And Maintaining A Beautiful Flower Garden For Colour All Year Round'.
A horticulturalist, writer and regular BBC Radio Leeds presenter, Joe Maiden has appeared on numerous gardening programmes for the BBC and Yorkshire Television and was awarded the Harlow Carr medal by The Royal Horticultural Society for his first class growing, lecturing and exhibitions of vegetables.
He is a real 'dirt under the fingertips' gardener, famed for his no-nonsense non-technical approach and his inexhaustible fund of tips and techniques delivered in a clear understanding manner. In this DVD, Joe who is a judge for the National Vegetable Society, shows you all you'll ever need for the complete flower garden.
This DVD covers:
- THE MIXED BORDER: Annuals, biennials and perennials; creating interest throughout the year; planting bulbs in a mixed border for spring flowering; care and maintenance of a mixed border; weeding and spraying.
- HALF-HARDY ANNUAL BORDER: Planting in blocks; buying bedding plants; taking cuttings; dead heading; plant association; bedding plants that can be raised from seed; an annual border for less than a fiver; care and maintenance; using garden fleece.
- THE FLOWER PATIO: Planting and soil cultivation.
- THE ROCK GARDEN: Different types of rock garden; building a rock garden; autumn maintenance of rock and alpine gardens.
- SWEET PEAS: Growing on the cordon system; supporting the canes; layering; growing on birch twigs.
- ROSES: Different types; getting roses to flower well; removing the king bud; dead heading; black spot; cleaing up a bush; planting on clean land.
- CLIMBERS: Training climbers and fixing them to a wall; growing on wire panels; taking off new growth; using climbers to cover up an unsightly wall or building.
- SHRUBS: The part shrubs play in garden design; pruning; propagation methods; pollarding back; planting a container shrub.
- CONTAINER GARDENING: The best plants of containers; using old throwaway plastic boxes; drainage holes; hanging baskets; making hanging baskets from old plastic icecream boxes; plant association in containers; using left over bedding plants in the conservatory; making stone troughs from old sinks.